Babies born during water births are at risk of contracting Legionnaires’ disease, a severe and potentially life-threatening form of pneumonia that infected two infants in Arizona last year.
In the United States, there has been only one other reported case of Legionellosis in an infant after a water birth. That involved a Texas baby who died in 2014 just weeks after being born at home in a heated birthing pool.
The Legionella bacteria thrive in warm water and can grow in water systems such as water storage tanks or pipes. Among those at greatest risk are the elderly and people who have weakened immune systems. In 2015, about 6,000 cases of the disease were reported in the United States. Nearly 10 percent of cases are fatal. A CDC report this week found that more than 500 of the total cases definitely or possibly occurred in health-care facilities such as nursing homes or hospitals.
Arizona officials say the number of reported cases of Legionnaires’ disease has increased in recent years, jumping to 93 cases in 2015, doubling the 46 cases in 2011. Between 2011 and 2015, there was only one case reported in an infant younger than 1 month old.
But in the first four months of 2016, Arizona had two infants who contracted Legionnaires' disease, both of whom were delivered at home in a birthing tub.
The first baby was delivered Jan. 6 by a midwife in a tub filled with tap water. The following day, the baby was rushed to a local emergency department in severe respiratory distress with low blood oxygen levels. Clinicians found fluid in the lungs, which can indicate pneumonia. Lab tests confirmed the infection.
The tub had been cleared with vinegar and water before being filled with tap water immediately before delivery. A new drinking water hose was used, and the mother delivered the child within an hour of entering the tub. But tap water is not sterile; Legionella can grow and spread in plumbing systems. The child did not swallow any water, but the bacteria still found its way into its lungs.
The second infant was delivered in a rented jetted Jacuzzi tub April 5 by a different midwife. Three days after birth, the baby developed a fever of 101 degrees that lasted two days. The next day, the baby arrived in the emergency room with an even higher fever, 102.6 degrees. A chest X-ray showed cloudy spots in the lungs. The infant was admitted, and the bacterial infection was later confirmed to be Legionella.
In that case, the water in the Jacuzzi had been allowed to stay at 98 degrees F for a week, an optimal temperature for the bacteria to grow, the report said.
The health department was alerted to the second case when the same infection specialist who worked on the first baby realized that the second infant had also been delivered in a home water birth.
“She was so astute,” said Tammy Sylvester, who co-manages infectious disease epidemiology at the Maricopa County health department. “She’s the one who picked up on the fact that these were both at-home water births and that we need to look into this to find out what’s going on.”
Health officials declined to identify the hospital or the clinician who spotted the connection to protect the privacy of the patient and families.
Even though appropriate measures were used, including a new tub and new hose in the first birth, the tap water in both births wasn’t treated, and that’s how the infection was introduced, she said. Although the risk for infection cannot be eliminated because of the need for warm tap water, it can be reduced by running hot water through the hose for three minutes before filling the tub to clear the hose and pipes of stagnant water and sediment.
Immersion in water during labor or delivery has been popularized over the past several decades. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, it's hard to measure its prevalence in the United States because it hasn't been studied outside of the home or birth centers, and the information isn't recorded on birth certificates.
Undergoing the early stages of labor in a birthing pool may offer some advantages to pregnant women, ACOG noted last October in an opinion by its obstetric practice committee. However, water delivery has no proven benefit to women or newborns, and the safety and efficacy of immersion in water during delivery have not been established, ACOG said. It also noted that “rare but serious health problems in the newborn have been reported,” including a higher risk of maternal and neonatal infections.
Arizona health officials have put together a tool kit about the risks for Legionella infection for women choosing water immersion for labor or birth and distributed the resources to all licensed midwives in the state and professionals working in health-care associated infection.