A former caretaker accused of squatting in an elderly woman’s California house and renting out bedrooms without permission has agreed to never come back to the home.

The agreement between Cheryl Sherrell, whose months-long occupancy of a San Diego home prompted protests from neighbors, and Fran Breslauer, a 91-year-old woman who hired Sherrell as a live-in caretaker for her dying husband, was reached nine months into what a judge called a “contentious” and “acrimonious” case.

Breslauer sued Sherrell last year, accusing the caretaker of refusing to leave her home even after her husband had died in January 2016. At one point, neighbors held a rally outside Breslauer’s house, chalking the word “parasite” on the sidewalk and calling for Sherrell to move out. A Facebook page called “Get Cheryl Sherrell out of that house” posted a stream of news stories about the saga, along with angry exhortations for Sherrell to leave.


As part of the agreement reached last week, Sherrell will come back to the house Friday to collect her belongings. After that, she will stay away for good. She also will not admit to any wrongdoing.

Jason Burris, Breslauer’s attorney, said his client is glad that the case is over. Breslauer, who has moved to Oregon to live with a relative, was unable to attend the hearing because of a medical problem.

“The person who wanted it over the most was my client, who is 91 years old and having emergency surgery and shouldn’t have to deal with this at all,” Burris said.

Sherrell’s attorney, Lawrence Mudgett III, said the agreement is a victory, adding that his client had already agreed months ago to not come back to the property.


“It’s a submission victory. They tapped out,” Mudgett said. “Plaintiff receives nothing from defendant, no judgment, no damages.”


Breslauer hired Sherrell in 2015 to care for Alan Breslauer. They had a written agreement allowing Sherrell to live in a studio outside the main house while she worked as a caregiver.

Fran Breslauer told The Washington Post earlier that she fired Sherrell months later after her husband complained that she had done something inappropriate. But Sherrell refused to leave despite being given a handwritten 30-day notice, according to the lawsuit.

The two women later accused each other of assault.

The complaint says Sherrell forcefully threw Breslauer’s car keys at her and, at one point, turned the house’s water heater to its hottest setting, causing Breslauer to suffer severe burns. Mudgett, in an earlier interview with The Post, cited a police report that states Breslauer assaulted Sherrell.


Breslauer eventually left her home, while Sherrell stayed.


“She didn’t want to put herself at risk,” her daughter, Jan Breslauer, told The Post earlier.

Mudgett disputed the accusations, saying Fran Breslauer was never forced out of her home and that she left the state voluntarily. He added that Sherrell was a legal tenant, not a squatter.

Although the civil case is over, Sherrell’s other legal troubles aren’t.

Sherrell, who was featured in an episode of “Hoarding: Buried Alive,” is facing charges of theft, theft against an elder, elder abuse and criminal trespass. She was charged in October, a few months after the lawsuit was filed. Trial is scheduled for February.

The outcome of the civil lawsuit won’t have any effect on the criminal case.