The child did not ingest any of the powder, he said, in the half-inch-wide and half-inch-long zip-top bag.
“That’s always a possibility, though, with Ziplock bags or any storage container subject to leakage,” he said. “A plastic container is not the most secure way to store any hazardous substance.”
Police are investigating how the packet landed in the child’s Halloween candy bag and say it slipped in Sunday evening. Sunday was the designated trick-or-treating time in Keshena, Wis., as it was a “safer day to have the goblins running around town,” as Halloween this year falls on a weeknight, Warrington said. Keshena is located on the reservation, about 160 miles north of Milwaukee.
It is not clear whether the packet was placed among the child’s candy intentionally or by mistake, Warrington said. No suspects have yet been linked to the incident.
The mother’s drug discovery comes at a time when parents across the country are concerned about their children’s Halloween candy being laced with drugs. Officials nationwide have issued dire warnings to parents about the alleged threat of marijuana-laced candy in kids’ trick-or-treat bags, despite the absence of documented cases of kids being poisoned by pot candy during Halloween. A Washington Post analysis found that pot candy is a popular boogeyman for law-enforcement officials and media outlets looking for a scare story.
Halloween candy panic made headlines in 2014, the year the country’s first recreational marijuana shops opened in Colorado and Washington state. Edible products like candy were widely popular among marijuana consumers and made up nearly half of all legal marijuana sales in Colorado that year, according to the Denver Post. But with pot candy’s popularity came problems, too, such as stories of children accidentally eating a pot brownie or candy, according to the Denver Post.
Fears have been further driven by public officials, such as the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office, which sent out a public advisory last week warning parents to check for marijuana-infused candy in their children’s trick-or-treat bags. The advisory mentioned a 10-year-old boy in New York who went to the emergency room after accidentally consuming marijuana gummies. But the incident wasn’t related to Halloween candy, and a state spokesman declined to list specific cases or evidence of Halloween-related instances of drug poisoning when questioned by the Associated Press.
The incident in Wisconsin appears to be one of a kind. It’s unclear to Menominee officials whether the incident was an isolated one or a more widespread, intentional event, Warrington said. Most people, however, don’t seem interested in harming children on Halloween — a review of “Halloween Sadism” by University of Delaware sociologist Joel Best found that reports of deliberate harm via Halloween candy were rare and that most of the reports were either hoaxes or not actually linked to candy.
But to be on the safe side, Menominee Tribal Police have asked parents to drop off the candy that children collected Sunday and their trick-or-treat bags at Keshena Veterans Park or Neopit Fire Station between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Tuesday.
“We’d rather have whatever was collected removed from circulation,” Warrington said.
On Tuesday, the community will also offer children a second chance to trick-or-treat at an event on the campus of the College of Menominee Nation, from 5 to 7 p.m., according to the Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin’s website.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in its list of Halloween health and safety tips, warn families and children to examine Halloween candy for choking hazards and tampering, to eat only factory-wrapped treats and to avoid eating homemade treats offered by strangers. The list does not explicitly mention the risk of obtaining drugs or drug-laced candy while trick-or-treating.
The CDC also encourages children and adults to eat snacks in moderation, as does the Food and Drug Administration, which is particularly advising people 40 and older to limit their consumption of black licorice. Eating two ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks, FDA officials said, could cause irregular heart rhythm or arrhythmia.