- For the filling
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) dried apricots
- 2/3 cup (160 milliliters) boiling water
- 4 medium peaches (475 grams), halved, pitted and cut into eighths (about 3 cups)
- 5 apricots (400 grams), pitted and quartered (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 3 tablespoons granulated or light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- For the topping
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose or whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (50 or 60 grams) granulated or light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) buttermilk or Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
For the filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray an 8-inch square pan.
Place the dried apricots in a small bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, dry and then finely mince the apricots.
In a medium bowl, mix the reconstituted apricots, peaches, fresh apricots, orange juice, sugar and cornstarch (or arrowroot powder). Gently toss to combine and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
For the topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, stir in the melted butter, then the buttermilk or yogurt, egg and vanilla until combined. The topping mixture will be thick and sticky.
Drop dollops of the topping over the fruit. Dust with the turbinado sugar.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the topping turns light golden brown. Serve warm.
From food writer and cookbook author Marcy Goldman.
Tested by Sophia Nguyen; email questions to email@example.com.
Scale and get a printer-friendly version of the recipe here.
Did you make this recipe? Take a photo and tag us on Instagram with #eatvoraciously.
Calories: 200; Total Fat: 6 g; Saturated Fat: 4 g; Cholesterol: 35 mg; Sodium: 115 mg; Carbohydrates: 34 g; Dietary Fiber: 2 g; Sugars: 18 g; Protein: 3 g.