After sitting vacant for more than two decades, the Isabella, an apartment building at 1483 Newton St. NW in the District’s Columbia Heights neighborhood, has been fully restored and is now more than 50 percent leased.
The Isabella is one of the “Seven Sisters” — seven identical buildings between Newton Street and Meridian Place NW developed by real estate entrepreneur Harry Wardman and designed by architect Albert H. Beers in the early 20th century.
The building underwent a two-year gut renovation by Urban Investment Partners (UIP). When the building was acquired in December 2012, there were holes in the roof, floors were collapsing and the façade was beginning to crumble.
UIP designed 38 studio and one- and two-bedroom units with natural wood flooring, stainless steel appliances, granite counters, kitchen islands, tile backsplashes, tile baths, a washer and dryer, USB charging outlets, energy efficient double-paned windows and Nest learning thermostats. Many units have a patio or balcony.
[Developers propose apartments, retail to revive desolate block in D.C.’s Hill East]
The building also has a rooftop deck.
Isabella residents can walk to restaurants and shops in Columbia Heights and the U Street corridor as well as to the Columbia Heights Metro station for the Green and Yellow lines. The nearby U Street Metro and bus lines along 14th Street and U Street offer easy access to other parts of the city.
[Apartments may emerge from former coal yard, auto garage in NoMa]
For more information about Isabella, call 202-885-9785 or go to www.1483Newton.com.
Michele Lerner is a freelance writer. To pass on a tip or news item, contact us at email@example.com and put “Town Square” in the subject line.