Only a handful of owners have lived in this Georgian Revival house in the Kalorama neighborhood of Northwest Washington. Perhaps the best known was Joseph H. Hirshhorn, whose art collection was the foundation of the Smithsonian museum that bears his name.

The first owner was Gen. George Scriven, who had the house built in 1924. The house was designed by George Ray, the architect of many homes along Massachusetts Avenue and in the Kalorama neighborhood, and it was built by Robert J. O’Neill.

Scriven, a West Point graduate, served as chief signal officer of the Army. He also represented the United States at the coronation of Czar Nicholas II of Russia in 1896 when Scriven was military attache in Rome. After Scriven died, his wife, Elizabeth, remained in the home until her death in 1958.

Hirshhorn bought the house in 1969 for $130,000. The self-made uranium mogul and financier started collecting art at a young age. His first two acquisitions were Durer engravings, “Three Peasants in Conversation” and “Peasant and His Wife,” purchased by him at age 17.

Distinguished homes for sale in the D.C. region

shareShare
Hickory Ridge in Howard County | Hickory Ridge “is considered today one of the truly splendid homes built by the Maryland Ridgeleys,” Celia M. Holland wrote in her 1987 book “Old Homes and Families of Howard County, Maryland.” The 67-acre horse farm in Highland, Md., is listed at $9 million. (HomeVisit)

Hirshhorn spent much of his fortune on art, amassing an enormous collection. He displayed more than 600 works in the home, including pieces by Georgia O’Keeffe, Raphael Soyer, Richard Lindner, Roy Lichtenstein, John Clem Clarke and Richard Anuszkiewicz. A 1982 Washington Post story described a “powder room full of Picassos.”

After suffering a fatal heart attack outside the house in 1981, at age 82, he left a $5 million bequest, the rights to oil royalties and his entire personal art collection — estimated at 5,000 items — to the museum he founded in 1965.

Robert Kanuth Jr. bought the house in 1984 for $865,000. Kanuth was chief executive of Cranston Bank and later chairman of Cranston/Prescott, a private securities firm.

George Washington University acquired the house in 1988 for $1.9 million, the third-highest sale price of a single-family residence in the District that year. It became the residence for then-President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg.

The current owners bought the home in 2009 and undertook an extensive renovation, updating the kitchens and bathrooms, refinishing the floors, installing crown molding, remaking the stairway and inserting arched doorways. They added gold leaf wallpaper to the ceiling in a sitting room and chinoiserie wallpaper by Hines in the foyer. Some of the house’s original features remain, including 13-foot ceilings, the ornate fireplace mantels and the chandeliers in the sitting and dining rooms.

The home has grand spaces that are well suited to entertaining and cozy retreats such as the covered veranda off the kitchen. The property has parking for five cars.

The house is on the market for $6.25 million.

Listing agent: Stan Kelly, TTR Sotheby’s International Realty