Ever wondered where Crystal City got its name and why it’s not the Emerald City?
According to the Arlington County government, the town was named for one of its first apartment buildings, the Crystal House. At 1900 S. Eads St., Crystal House is a two-building, 825-unit apartment community that was part of the original planned development. The building and then the town derived their names from a large crystal chandelier that once dominated the lobby of the apartments.
Now the first phase of renovations has been completed at Crystal House by Roseland, a subsidiary of Mack-Cali Realty that bought the building in 2013. The apartments — which range from more than 500 square feet for a studio to 600 to 1,000 square feet for a one-bedroom to as large as 1,410 to 1,555 for a three-bedroom unit — have been upgraded with renovated bathrooms, 42-inch cabinets, stainless-steel appliances and granite counters in the kitchens, and new in-unit washers and dryers. The apartments have oversized windows and many have balconies.
New building amenities include two rooftop decks with lounges, rooftop grilling and dining areas, a saltwater swimming pool with cabanas, a penthouse fitness center and yoga studio, a new clubroom with a pool table and seating areas, a landscaped courtyard and a conference room.
Residents can walk to the Crystal City Metro station and to shops and restaurants on 23rd Street in Arlington.
Monthly rents range from $1,575 for a studio apartment to $3,646 for a three-bedroom apartment.
For information, visit Crystalhouseva.com.
To pass on a tip or item, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Town Square” in the subject line.