Inside Nixon’s Western White House

shareShare
The La Casa Pacifica estate in San Clemente, Calif., built in 1926 and previously owned by President Richard M. Nixon, is listing for $63.5 million. (By Compass)

Foreign dignitaries. Heads of state. Hollywood celebrities.

All those and more have passed through the gates of La Casa Pacifica, a walled compound in San Clemente, Calif., formerly owned by President Richard Nixon. After initially going up for sale in 2015 for $75 million, the home is currently on the market for $63.5 million.

Nixon bought the 5.5-acre property for $1.4 million in 1969 and referred to it as his Western White House while he was in office. Once he resigned from the presidency, Nixon lived there full time until selling it in 1980.

The Obamas just bought their rental home in Washington

The entire package includes a main house, a two-bedroom guesthouse, an entertainment pavilion, pool, tennis court and a few staff buildings where the Secret Service camped out.

As TopTenRealEstateDeals.com reports, there are approximately 15,000 combined square feet of living space, with more than 9,000 square feet devoted to the main house. The main building has four bedrooms and seven bathrooms. There also are several entertainment rooms ranging from highly formal to casual. 

One of the entertainment rooms has a covered roof and archways open to the outdoors.

Current owners feel the history in LBJ’s former home

Some of the high profile guests who visited the home include Bob Hope, Henry Kissinger, Arnold Palmer and Leonid Brezhnev.

Ornate ceilings in one of the main bedrooms is part of the custom artwork throughout the house. A casual dining room comes painted with colors reminiscent of the nearby ocean. The main living room has high ceilings with both a skylight and nearly full view of the outdoors to bring in as much light as possible. The marble bathroom and dressing area have touches of original artwork. 

Mature trees complement the acres of gardens. The coastline is a few minutes walk from the door, with a private trail that leads down to the beach.

Where the presidents lived

Architect Carl Lindbottom completed the Andalusian-inspired home in 1926, designing it to blend with the surrounding palm and cypress trees without detracting from the panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean. With 480 linear feet of beachfront and professionally landscaped gardens, the outdoors are as impressive as the house. 

“One of the things that’s so unusual about San Clemente is you are right on the south coast, and to find a piece of land that’s 5½ acres is virtually unheard of,” says co-listing agent Suzanne Perkins of Sotheby’s International Realty. “It’s not up on a bluff, where you have lots of stairs to have access to the beach. This has its own trail down, which is pretty amazing.” 

La Casa Pacifica underwent substantial upgrades and renovations in 2010 to bring the home in line with today’s standards.