Summerset, later known as Rose Hill, in Delaplane, Va., is one of the earliest and most intact Colonial-period houses in Fauquier County.
Delaplane, originally named Piedmont Station, is in the southern end of the Crooked Run Valley Rural Historic District. The village was established in 1852 as one of the stops along the newly chartered Manassas Gap Railroad. It was renamed Delaplane in 1874 for Washington E. Delaplane, who was postmaster and owner of the mercantile store.
John Rout, who was driven east from the Shenandoah Valley by the French and Indian War, built Summerset sometime before 1759 on land that was part of James Ball’s 18th-century land grant. Hezekiah Turner, a native of Charles County, Md., and a captain in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, came to the Crooked Run Valley in 1767 and later settled at Summerset.
Turner had John Balthorpe build Summerset Mill and a miller’s house on the south boundary of the estate in 1779. Balthorpe’s initials and the year 1779 can be found carved into stone on the property. Turner sold Summerset to Hezekiah Shacklett in 1787 but retained ownership of the mill.
The mill went through several owners before it burned down in 1894. Stones from the miller’s house were used for the foundation of Delaplane Manor, according to an architectural survey form by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources.
Several buildings on the property are thought to have been built about 1790, including the kitchen, now attached to the home by a 20th-century hyphen or hallway, the slave quarters, a plantation office, a springhouse and a stable.
Various skirmishes occurred within the valley during the Civil War, and the area was frequently crossed by Union and Confederate troops. Many homes, including Summerset, provided shelter for Confederate Col. John S. Mosby’s Rangers. Summerset survived the Civil War mostly intact. Only the stable was destroyed, and it was later rebuilt.
During the 19th and 20th centuries, the property went through a handful of owners and became known as Rose Hill.
The current owner bought Summerset in the 1950s. Following Williamsburg National Park Service guidelines, he extensively renovated the house and several outbuildings on the 25-acre estate in the 1960s. Because of his painstaking renovation efforts, they retain their 18th-century structures and many features, including original doors with leather hinges, windows and interior details.
The two-story stone slave quarters are one of the best preserved in the Crooked Run Valley, according to the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. The owner has rented the updated living space to guests during fox-hunting season.
The property has potential for many uses. One section was once a vineyard. Another has pasture for horses.
The historic estate, which is eligible for state and federal tax credits for historic preservation, is listed at $1.1 million.
Listing: 1796 Winchester Rd., Delaplane, Va.
Listing agent: Donna Carleton, Long & Foster
Previous House of the Week