[posttv url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/world/the-sunni-shiite-divide-explained/2014/06/13/f33d5e72-f343-11e3-8d66-029598e98add_video.html" ]
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is now effectively governing a large chunk of Iraqi territory. Considering this is a group that al-Qaeda broke ties with for being too extreme, that's a pretty big deal.
[posttv url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/world/abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-the-man-leading-isis-across-iraq/2014/06/13/6047eff4-f322-11e3-8d66-029598e98add_video.html" ]
Now, as a de-facto government, they have released a document aimed at civilians in Nineveh, a province in the country's northeast that contains the major city Mosul. Branded a "Contract of the City," the document contains 16 notes for residents.
Among the 16 notes are a number of rules ranging from the benign to the worrying. Here are some of the highlights (these are paraphrased, not direct translations):
- All Muslims will be treated well, unless they are allied with oppressors or help criminals.
- Money taken from the government is now public. Whoever steals or loots faces amputations. Anyone who threatens or blackmails will face severe punishment (This section also quotes a verse from the Quran (Al-Ma'idah: 33) that says that criminals may be killed or crucified).
- All Muslims are encouraged to perform their prayers with the group.
- Drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes are banned.
- Rival political or armed groups are not tolerated.
- Police and military officers can repent, but anyone who insists upon apostasy faces death.
- Sharia law is implemented.
- Graves and shrines are not allowed, and will be destroyed.
- A women are told that stability is at home and they should not go outside unless necessary. They should be covered, in full Islamic dress.
- Be happy to live in an Islamic land.
The document is signed by the "Media Office for Ninawa Province." You can read the full text in Arabic here.