LONDON — World leaders offered condolences Monday after the mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed at least 58 people and injured hundreds.
The gunman, identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, opened fire on concertgoers enjoying a country music festival in Las Vegas from the 32nd floor of a hotel late Sunday. The attack is the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Even though foreigners are not necessarily surprised by mass shootings in the United States — shocked, yes, but not surprised — reports of the attack were leading news bulletins in several countries.
In Britain, where earlier this year a suicide bomber killed 22 people leaving an Ariana Grande concert, the prime minister tweeted her condolences after the Las Vegas shooting.
“The UK’s thoughts are with the victims and the emergency services responding to the appalling attack in Las Vegas,” she wrote.
The UK’s thoughts are with the victims and the emergency services responding to the appalling attack in Las Vegas.
— Theresa May (@theresa_may) October 2, 2017
British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said that he was “horrified” by the “awful and indiscriminate” attack and that his office was working with U.S. authorities to determine whether any Britons were affected.
In Paris, French President Emmanuel Macron offered words of comfort.
“Emotional thoughts for our American partners and friends who have had to suffer the violence of our times in Las Vegas a few hours ago,” he tweeted Monday.
Pensée émue pour nos partenaires et amis américains qui ont eu à subir la violence contemporaine à #LasVegas il y a quelques heures.
— Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron) October 2, 2017
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo announced on Twitter that the Eiffel Tower, the French capital’s most iconic landmark, will go dark at midnight “in homage to the victims of the attacks in Marseille and Las Vegas.” On Sunday night, two women were killed when a man attacked them with a knife at Marseille’s train station.
— Anne Hidalgo (@Anne_Hidalgo) October 2, 2017
In a bid to explain the carnage, Le Monde, a leading French newspaper, observed that the United States, “with 85 arms per 100 inhabitants, is also the Western country where the proportion of deaths by gunshots is the highest.”
Russia's state-run, 24-hour news channels also covered the attack. In remarks to the Vesti television station, Adalbi Skhagoshev, a member of the Russian State Duma's committee on foreign affairs, told an anchor that the shooting “was clearly an act of terror” and should provoke a legislative response.
“There are stores in some states where you can buy long-range weapons even without a passport,” Skhagoshev said. “So, of course, there should be legislation in response to these kinds of incidents in the United States.”
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev took to Facebook to express his condolences. “I am shocked by the tragedy in Las Vegas,” he wrote in Russian and in English.
“The crime is striking in its violence and cynicism. Russia shares the sorrow of those who lost their relatives and friends. We pass our sympathy and support to them and wish a speedy recovery to the injured.”
“I condemn in the strongest terms possible today's terror attack in Las Vegas, NV,” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Twitter. “I sincerely hope that such attacks won't happen in the future. On behalf of the Turkish people, I offer my condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims and all Americans.”
I condemn in the strongest terms possible today's terror attack in Las Vegas, NV.
I sincerely hope that such attacks won't happen in the future. On behalf of the Turkish people, I offer my condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims and all Americans.
— Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (@RT_Erdogan) October 2, 2017
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi called it a “heinous attack.”
We condemn the heinous attack on innocent people in Las Vegas. The thoughts of the Iraqi people are with the victims and their families
— Haider Al-Abadi (@HaiderAlAbadi) October 2, 2017
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said: “Words fail this morning. The friendship & support of Canadians is with the victims in Las Vegas & the people of the US.”
Words fail this morning. The friendship & support of Canadians is with the victims in Las Vegas & the people of the US.
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) October 2, 2017
Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, also offered words of solace.
On this terrible day, the people of Israel stand shoulder to shoulder with the American people in mourning and sorrow.
— Benjamin Netanyahu (@netanyahu) October 2, 2017
Enrique Peña Nieto, the president of Mexico, called the shooting “tragic.”
México condena y lamenta el trágico tiroteo en Las Vegas. Nuestra solidaridad y pensamientos están con las víctimas y sus familias.
— Enrique Peña Nieto (@EPN) October 2, 2017
Pope Francis said he was “deeply saddened” and called the shooting a “senseless tragedy.”
Many countries are puzzled by the United States' gun culture. As has happened after previous U.S. shooting incidents, Monday’s attack prompted a debate on social media about whether the United States should adopt stricter gun-control laws.
“It's your choice America #GunControlNow or more mass murder of innocents,” wrote one Twitter user from Britain.
It's your choice America #GunControlNow or more mass murder of innocents.
— Harry Leslie Smith (@Harryslaststand) October 2, 2017
Another from Australia wrote that the United States needed to “do something.”
A list of the mass public shootings in Australia since #GunControl was introduced 20 years ago:
Do something, America! #GunControlNow
— Jack Lattimore (@latts92) October 2, 2017
Andrew Roth in Moscow, James McAuley in Paris, Jennifer Hassan in London and William Booth in Barcelona contributed to this report.