The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

An SUV crashed into a classroom near Sydney, killing two students

Two 8-year-old boys were killed and three children were badly injured when a car crashed into a classroom in Sydney on Nov. 7. (Video: Reuters)

At first, people thought the loud sound coming from the elementary school was a bomb.

All that initial witnesses could see was a giant, gaping hole in the side of Banksia Road Primary School in the Sydney suburb of Greenacre, exposing an inside wall covered with children’s drawings.

“Then the kids ran out screaming and everything,” Angela Abi-Hanna, who had been washing dishes at her home nearby, told the Guardian newspaper. “That’s when I ran out.”

A 2007 Toyota SUV driven by a student’s parent had slammed into the building around 9:45 a.m. Tuesday — crashing into a classroom where two dozen students were preparing to take a quiz.

Two 8-year-old boys died in the crash, including one who had been trapped under the two-ton SUV, authorities said. Neighbors helped lift the vehicle off the boy, but it was too late.

The boys were unconscious when they were taken to the hospital, authorities said, and never woke up.

Seventeen of their classmates were injured, as well as a teacher. Two 8-year-old girls remained in stable condition as the day ended in Australia, and a 9-year-old was in serious condition.

First responders rushed to the bloody scene, followed by a steady stream of parents. They were herded behind police tape as they desperately sought information about their children.

‘American nightmare’: Australians react to fatal police shooting in ‘very risky’ United States

The Guardian described women clustered at the front of the school, hugging one another. Desperate, one mother tried calling the school but could not get through.

“We were just called to say come and get your kids. All we heard were calls from the neighbors, ‘come quickly,’ ” one woman told the newspaper.

New South Wales ambulance superintendent Stephanie Radnidge said the students in the school were distraught.

“They were crying, they were distressed,” she told the Australian. “Some were asking for their parents.”

One student told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. that a teacher fainted as children were loaded into ambulances.

“They were all just covered with blood. It was very bad,” she said.

Police believe the crash was unintentional. The driver of the SUV, Maha al-Shennag, was charged with two counts of dangerous driving occasioning death and one count of negligent driving, officials say. She was released on bail but must appear in court again at the end of this month, according to ABC.

Investigators were scouring her charcoal-colored SUV to determine whether it had any mechanical problems in the moments before the crash. They were also inspecting her cellphone to see whether she had been distracted.

Meanwhile, people in her community were in shock and grief.

More than 100 mourners erected an impromptu memorial of flowers, stuffed animals and balloons at the gate of the public school late Tuesday.

“No one expects anything to happen like this,” Donna Agha, whose sons knew the boys who died in the crash, told ABC. “I think all of our kids need counseling, it was horrific.”

Today was a very tragic and sad day at Banksia Road Public School.There was an accident in the carpark, which resulted...

Posted by Banksia Road Public School 2017 on Monday, November 6, 2017

Jihad Dib, a member of Parliament, told ABC that he was “horrified and completely gutted,” much like the rest of the community.

“I saw a lot of parents hugging their kids extra tight today,” he said. “And I think it’s going to be really difficult for them having to explain to their children why a couple of their classmates are no longer here.”

Read more: 

Some Aborigines say to disturb Uluru is a curse. Australia says climbing it will soon be a crime.

A truck crashed into a horse-drawn buggy, killing 3 children on their way to church

A mother purposely drove SUV with her three children off a cliff, police say

‘We don’t open the door’: How fear of a serial killer paralyzed this Florida community