A handful of this buttery, spicy, peppery mix goes great with a beer and a football afternoon.
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups mixed raw cashews, pine nuts and shelled pistachios
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Have ready a rimmed baking sheet lined with paper towels.
In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the nuts, stirring constantly until they turn reddish-brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cumin and cook until the nuts turn brown, about 30 seconds.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to the paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with the salt, cayenne and black pepper. Set aside to cool for 1 hour before storing.
Adapted from "Party Nuts!" by Sally Sampson (Harvard Common Press, 2002).
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.