Double the amount of rice you usually make during the week, and you'll have leftovers for making this salad. Brown rice, lime juice, curry paste and tomatoes are heart-healthy ingredients.
- 1/4 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon red or green curry paste
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, cut into small dice (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Whisk together the coconut milk, lime juice, honey, soy sauce and curry paste in a medium mixing bowl. Add the chicken, rice, cucumber, tomatoes and cilantro; toss gently until evenly coated. Season with pepper to taste, if desired. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.
Adapted from "WomenHeart's All Heart Family Cookbook," by Kathy Kastan and Suzanne Banfield (Rodale, 2008).
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.