Thin and peppery, this vinegar-based sauce is a perfect complement to pulled or chopped pork. After pulling or chopping the pork, douse the meat with sauce.
Make Ahead: This no-cook sauce needs to stand at room temperature for 4 hours. It can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, preferably light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the vinegar, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne and black peppers in a container with a tight-fitting lid; mix well. Let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours before serving or storing.
The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.
From Smoke Signals columnist Jim Shahin.
Tested by Nicole Schofer.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.