To save time and cut back on the number of ingredients she buys to feed her family, Mom Made Foods founder Heather Stouffer makes purees that always incorporate elements of what she's cooking for diners other than baby.
This dish was inspired by her fish tacos with mango salsa, which are a fan favorite at her table.
Yield: Makes 4 adult servings, plus 1 cup puree for baby
- Flesh of 1 mango, cut into small cubes
- 1 large red onion, diced (1/4 cup) and sliced (1 cup)
- 7 ounces cooked corn kernels, drained
- 8 leaves basil, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound skinless tilapia or cod fillets
- Flesh of 1 ripe avocado, cut into slices, for serving
- 1 cup spinach, stemmed, then coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Eight 6-inch flour tortillas, warmed
For the adults: Combine half of the mango, the diced red onion, corn, basil, 1 tablespoon of the oil, half of the lime juice and all the cumin in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and with the cayenne pepper, if desired.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the sliced onion and stir to coat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the fish and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, just until it flakes when poked at with a fork. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cooked fish (without any onion) for the baby's portion.
Add the remaining lime juice to the fish-onion mixture; season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl for serving. Place three-quarters of the avocado, a small bit of the chopped spinach, the sour cream, if desired, and the warm tortillas, wrapped in a cloth napkin, in separate bowls for serving.
For the baby: Combine the remaining mango, 2 tablespoons of the cooked fish and the remaining chopped spinach in a separate deep mixing cup; use an immersion (stick) blender to puree until smooth. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve the desired consistency.
Use a fork to mash the reserved avocado with a teaspoon or two of water in a small bowl to a smooth, soft consistency. Serve with the pureed fish mixture.
Adapted from Heather Stouffer, founder of Mom Made Foods in Alexandria.
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.