These are a popular menu item at Lefty's Barbecue Unlimited in Waldorf. Lefty grills them right on the grate, but you might find that using a basket makes the cooking easier, or lining the grate with aluminum foil that has holes poked in it.
Wash all the vegetables well before you prep them.
Lefty's secret seasoning blends are available at the restaurant.
Servings: 10 - 12 side-dish
- 3 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large orange bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into quarters
- 2 large red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into quarters
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into quarters
- 2 large green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into quarters
- 1 large red onion, trimmed and cut into thick wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound carrots, cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound small whole button mushrooms, or cut in half
- 1/3 cup Lefty's vegetable seasoning blend
- 3 cups prepared Italian dressing, such as Wishbone
Toss the vegetables with the seasoning and dressing in a large bowl.
Prepare the grill. If using a gas grill, heat it to medium-high. If using a charcoal grill, start the charcoal or wood briquettes; when the briquettes are ready, distribute them evenly under the cooking area for direct heat. Oil the grate.
Grill the vegetables for 5 to 7 minutes, turning them often, until they are crisp-tender (carrots may take slightly longer). Serve warm or at room temperature.
From Margaret Nash.
Tested by Hal Mehlman.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.