The use of instant brown rice makes this a quick recipe. The flavor is fairly mild; adults might want to eat this flavored with ground cumin and a little hot pepper sauce. The recipe is appropriate for ages 6 to 9 months.
Be sure to use diced organic tomatoes; the canned ones have a nice, soft texture that babies like.
Servings: 8 - 10 baby
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice, preferably Minute brand
- 1 cup black beans (preferably Eden Organic brand), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup canned, diced, no-salt-added tomatoes (drained of juice)
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low to medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, until the onion has softened. Adjust the heat as needed so the garlic does not burn.
Add the water and rice; increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
Add the black beans, cilantro and tomatoes; mix well. Mash the beans and tomatoes slightly, if desired. Let cool to lukewarm and serve, or cool thoroughly before storing.
Adapted from a recipe at www.weelicious.com.
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.