This filling can be poured into a prepared crust to be served as a frozen pie or layered with crumbled gingersnap cookies and whipped cream to create a parfait; see VARIATION, below.
Yield: Makes a 9-inch pie or 8 parfaits
- 3 3/4 cups (one 30-ounce can) pumpkin pie mix, such as Libby's brand
- 12 ounces silken soft tofu, such as Mori-Nu brand, drained
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1 lemon (2 teaspoons of zest and about 2 tablespoons of juice)
- 1 9-inch store-bought graham cracker crust
- 16 gingersnap cookies, crushed (optional; see VARIATION)
- 2 cups slightly sweetened whipped cream (optional; see VARIATION)
Combine the pumpkin pie mix, tofu, lemon zest and juice in a blender. Process on low speed to start, then increase the speed to high. Blend for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture is fully combined and smooth.
Pour the filling into the prepared graham cracker crust. Cover with aluminum foil and freeze for at least 3 hours, or until completely firm.
Fifteen minutes before serving, transfer the pie to the countertop to sit at room temperature so that it softens slightly. Use a knife that has been run under or dunked in hot water to cut the pie into slices, drying the knife blade between each cut.
VARIATION: If making parfaits, portion one-third of the mousse among 8 wine glasses. Divide the crushed gingersnaps over each portion, then layer with one-third of the mousse. Divide the remaining one-third of the mousse among the glasses, then top with equal amounts of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
From Leigh Lambert, editorial assistant of the Food section.
Tested by Leigh Lambert.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.