A perennial favorite at this Cleveland Park eatery.
- 2 ounces peeled grated ginger root
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch ground ginger
- Splash low-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and cut into very thin slices
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into julienne (very thin strips)
- Store-bought pickled ginger root (to taste)
- Finely crushed peanuts, for garnish
Whisk together the grated ginger, lime juice, sugar, ground ginger and soy sauce in a liquid measuring cup to form a dressing. Taste and add soy sauce, if desired.
Toss together the cabbage, carrot and a generous amount of the pickled ginger root in a medium mixing bowl.
Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and toss for at least a minute or two.
Scatter some finely crushed peanuts over the salad. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Spices restaurant in Northwest Washington.
Tested by Renee Schettler.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.