The Willard InterContinental Hotel serves this earthy version of Caesar salad, which contains anchovies and is topped with a layer of shaved Parmesan cheese.
- 1 cup 1-inch cubes of day-old white bread, crusts removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 5 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole anchovy fillets, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon mashed garlic
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut or torn into small pieces and chilled
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
Set an oven rack 4 inches from the heating element and preheat the broiler. Place the bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, turning occasionally, until golden brown, watching carefully so they don't burn. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Set croutons aside.
In a large wooden salad bowl, mash the peppercorns, anchovies, mustard and garlic. Add the egg yolk, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce, stirring to combine. Add the oil and vinegar and mix until creamy. Add the romaine lettuce and toss to coat, then add the croutons and toss. Distribute on individual plates and top with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Adapted from maitre d' Francisco Nieto of the Willard InterContinental Hotel.
Tested by Marcia Kramer.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.