While White House press secretary Sarah Sanders probably will be remembered for the end of the daily press briefing (the White House has gone a record 95 days without one), she says she would like to be remembered for something else: transparency and honesty.
With this standard in mind, The Fix has compiled a list of nine times Sanders failed to live up to her own standard while serving in the Trump administration:
- Sanders falsely told reporters in March 2018 that Trump was unaware of the payments.
- Sanders would later tell federal investigators that her comments were “not founded on anything.”
- Sanders repeatedly dodged questions about her false August 2017 statement after Trump’s lawyers said Trump dictated the statement to Trump Jr.
- Sanders received immediate pushback on the false claim during two interviews with ABC News in March 2017.
- Sanders apologized for the false statement hours later on Twitter.
- It does.
- Fox News’s Chris Wallace fact-checked Sanders’s slippery phrasing in real time.
- Trump repeatedly mused about physical violence and harming protesters during his 2016 campaign.
- Trump and his associates had at least 140 contacts with Russian nationals and WikiLeaks before Trump was sworn in, according to a New York Times database.