Former attorney general Eric Holder, one of scores of Democrats weighing a 2020 challenge to President Trump, said that he will make up his mind by early next year.
During an appearance on “The Late Show” on Monday, Holder told host Stephen Colbert that he is continuing to seriously think about a White House run.
His comments were prompted by Colbert showing him a recent tweet by a reporter alluding to the possibility, which sparked cheers from the audience.
“Were you just taking the temperature of America just now?” Colbert asked.
“I was just looking to see potential contributors, you know,” Holder said, scanning the crowd.
“And cabinet members,” he added.
Colbert then asked: “Are seriously considering throwing your hat in the ring for 2020?”
“Yeah, I’m thinking about it,” Holder responded. “And what I’ve said is that I’ll make a determination sometime early next year.”
Buzz increased around a possible Holder bid last month, when he spoke at a “Politics and Eggs” breakfast in New Hampshire that is considered a rite of passage for potential presidential candidates.
Holder, who served during the Obama administration, told that audience that he was considering a bid for the Democratic nomination, but devoted most of his prepared remarks to his current work challenging congressional districts that have been gerrymandered to favor Republicans.
In response to a question, Holder was also critical of President Trump’s judgment in issuing a string of pardons, including one granted the day before to conservative commentator Dinesh D’Souza.
“If you use all the typical metrics that we use in the Justice Department . . . very few of these people you’d consider good candidates for pardons,” Holder said.