The House committee investigating the 2012 attacks on two U.S. compounds in Benghazi, Libya, said the State Department has pledged to hand over 5,000 new pages of documents related to the incident on Tuesday.
“The State Department has informed the Committee it will make a production of approximately 5,000 pages tomorrow — the second largest production the Committee has received and the largest since last summer,” Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), the chairman, said in a statement Monday.
The documents are not expected to include e-mails involving then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has been embroiled in a controversy over her use of a private e-mail account while the nation’s top diplomat.
At least four e-mails out of about 30,000 from Clinton’s private account contained classified information, according to a government inspector’s letter to Congress last week.
Clinton, who is the front-runner for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, was secretary of state when Islamist militants attacked the compounds on Sept. 11, 2012, killing Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
The State Department has provided the committee with thousands of documents, but Gowdy has repeatedly said he is looking for additional records relating to some of Clinton’s staff members as well as the former secretary.
Gowdy says he wants all relevant documents before Clinton testifies to the committee. Her campaign has said she will testify in October, but the committee said the timing was not set.
In exchange for receiving the documents on Tuesday, Gowdy said, the committee had granted a request from Secretary of State John F. Kerry’s chief of staff, Jon Finer, to postpone a hearing set for Wednesday at which Finer was scheduled to testify.