Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.) talks with reporters as House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) and Rep. Cathy McMorris Rogers (R-Wash.) look on, at the U.S. Capitol on Oct. 24, 2017. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.) received a death threat on social media, his office said Thursday, in the latest instance of a lawmaker being threatened with violence amid an increasingly volatile political environment.

The news comes as the country remains on heightened alert after homemade bombs were sent to prominent figures nationwide less than two weeks before the midterm election.

U.S. Capitol Police were “immediately notified and quickly identified the individual responsible,” Curbelo’s office said in a statement. Capitol Police spokeswoman Eva Malecki said the department does not comment on ongoing investigations.

“The Congressman’s home and our district office are being monitored by officers from the Miami-Dade Police Department,” Curbelo’s office said. “There are currently no changes expected to his schedule and he is expected to participate in tonight’s previously scheduled forum with the Kendall Federation. Law enforcement will be present.”

The threat against Curbelo, a two-term congressman whose district includes the Miami suburbs and the Florida Keys, follows threats to other members of Congress in recent months, including Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Rep. Diane Black (R-Tenn.).

Last year, House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) was seriously wounded after a gunman opened fire at a congressional baseball practice.