Announcement from Live News Editor Josh Freedom du Lac and General Assignment Editor Keith McMillan:

We are delighted to announce that Reis Thebault has joined the General Assignment reporting team.

Reis, who was part of The Post’s standout newsroom intern class last summer, has spent the last few months playing an invaluable role in the launch of the daily politics newsletter, Power Up. He helped Power Up’s anchor, Jackie Alemany, successfully break into a competitive early morning space with his pithy and intelligent writing.

As a Local intern, Reis’s eye and ear for detail and tenacious reporting skills stood out, whether he was covering protest marches or mass shootings. Among his more memorable files was a dispatch from Rob Hiaasen’s memorial.

Reis was no stranger to the newsroom, having spent the summer of 2017 as an intern on the investigative desk, where he reported and wrote stories and assisted with long-term projects. He co-wrote an installment of the "Fatal Force" series with John Sullivan, Julie Tate and Jennifer Jenkins, and worked with Scott Higham and Lenny Bernstein on their Peabody Award-winning investigation into DEA actions during the opioid epidemic. He has also interned on the metro desks of the Columbus Dispatch and The Boston Globe.

A native of Ann Arbor, Mich., Reis received his undergraduate degree in journalism and individualized studies from Ohio’s Miami University, where he also worked as an undergraduate assistant for former Post Style writer Wil Haygood and served as editor in chief of the campus newspaper, the Miami student. He studied data journalism at the University of California at Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism, and received the school’s Randy Shilts Memorial Award for Exceptional Reporting.

Reis (@ReisThebault) designed and coded his own website, and has attended more than one Harry Potter camp in his lifetime.