The Washington Post has named Jeremy Bowers director of engineering, overseeing a team dedicated to supporting The Post’s politics coverage. Bowers and his team will focus on political data projects including election results, congressional votes and campaign finance, collaborating with the news and product teams to realize The Post’s digital ambitions for the 2020 presidential election. This announcement comes as The Post’s politics team continues to add some of the best political journalists in the business, with eight new hires in recent months.

“Jeremy sits at the intersection of engineering and news, providing a valuable perspective that will inform our strategy for supporting The Post’s world-class political journalism,” said Scot Gillespie, CTO of The Washington Post. “His leadership will drive rapid experimentation and innovation, helping create a compelling reader experience through the 2020 election.”

Bowers joins The Post from The New York Times where he was the senior editor for news applications on the interactive news desk, focused on politics. Prior to that, Bowers worked on the visuals team at NPR and was a senior newsroom developer at The Washington Post from 2011 to 2012. He started his career at the St. Petersburg Times, where he was one of the developers behind the Pulitzer Prize-winning PolitiFact. Bowers teaches a class on data journalism at Duke University and mentors coders in the Online News Association student newsroom and at the National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting.

His first day will be April 1st.