On Thursday, April 4, The Washington Post Live will host “Protecting Local News,” a live event featuring interviews with prominent news leaders, award-winning journalists and local news advocates including House Antitrust Subcommittee Chairman Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI), Ranking Member of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA), Gray TV’s Chief Political Analyst Greta Van Susteren, and founder of The Texas Tribune John Thornton who are fighting to save local news in the era of hyper-partisan politics, big tech takeovers, and growing local news “deserts."
The program will also feature a one-on-one interview with Facebook’s Director of New Initiatives, News Partnerships, Anne Kornblut, who will discuss the company’s recent investments in local news.”
Since 2004, local coverage of at least 900 communities across the nation has deteriorated. Speakers will discuss the key role local news plays in our democracy, the future of investigative reporting and models of survival and success for local news nonprofits.
Additional speakers include:
- Julie K. Brown, Investigative Reporter, The Miami Herald
- Andrew Chavez, Senior Computational Journalist, The Dallas Morning News
- Audrey Cooper, Editor-in-Chief, San Francisco Chronicle
- Louise Kiernan, Editor-in-Chief, ProPublica Illinois
- Sara Lomax-Reese, President and CEO, WURD Radio
- Sacha Pfeiffer, Investigations Correspondent, NPR
- Jon Ralston, Editor and Founder, The Nevada Independent
- John Thornton, Co-Founder, The American Journalism Project; Founder, The Texas Tribune
This event will be streamed live on The Post’s site at wapo.st/localnews
The Washington Post Live is a journalism event platform for extended, on-the-record conversations live-streamed on the Washington Post Live homepage, Facebook, and Twitter. Kathy O’Hearn is the executive producer of Washington Post Live. Kristine Coratti is the general manager of Washington Post Live.
Thursday, April 4, 2019
Breakfast reception: 8:30 a.m.
Program: 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.
The Washington Post Live Center
1301 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20071
This event is presented by Knight Foundation with support from the University of Virginia.