Announcement from National Editor Steven Ginsberg, Deputy National Editor Lori Montgomery and Senior Politics Editor Peter Wallsten:

We are delighted to announce that Robert Samuels and Elise Viebeck have joined National’s political enterprise and investigations team, where they are contributing to our expanding coverage of the 2020 campaign. Robert is training his keen reporting eye on the candidates and policy issues shaping the race, while Elise will continue to focus on deeply reported examinations of the presidential contenders.

Since joining the national political staff in 2015, Robert has been examining the ground-level impact of policies through deeply reported stories. He has written about work requirements for welfare recipients in Wisconsin, a novel work-training program in Nebraska and an immigrant woman in Texas being sentenced to jail for eight years for voter fraud. In 2016, Robert teamed with David Maraniss to write an epic, four-part series, "The great unsettling," that captured all of the ways the country was changing in advance of that year's election. Robert previously spent four years on Metro, where his work exposing the flaws of the New Communities Initiative, a finalist for the Livingston Award for Young Journalists, prompted then Mayor Vincent C. Gray to hire an independent panel to review the plan and then introduce a resolution to fix it.

In his spare time, Robert occasionally helps the sports desk cover figure skating, his not-so-secret passion, helps to run the Press Pass Mentors scholarship program and serves as the newsroom’s most prominent evangelist for colorful pants.

As a National staff writer since 2015, Elise has provided enterprise and scene coverage of Capitol Hill, anchored lede-alls and liveblogs during major news events and published investigative stories at the intersection of politics and the #MeToo movement. She is a member of the original PowerPost staff and was The Daily 202's first reporter-researcher.

Elise grew up in Pleasanton, Calif., and is a graduate of Claremont McKenna College, where she uncovered a professor's questionable dealings in the world of Holocaust art restitution for a student newspaper and decided to pursue a career in journalism.

Before joining The Post, Elise wrote about health care and cybersecurity issues for The Hill. She lives with her husband in Logan Circle and in another life, would be an opera director.