Announcement from Sports Editor Matt Vita and Deputy Sports Editor Matt Rennie:

We are thrilled to announce that Robert Klemko will be joining the Sports department as an investigative reporter.

Robert spent the past six years at Sports Illustrated, where he has been a senior staff writer focusing on coverage of the National Football League. Robert is a deeply gifted reporter with a passion for exposing and examining untold stories about today’s athletes, teams and leagues. His coverage this fall of Antonio Brown revealed previously unreported accusations of sexual misconduct that preceded the New England Patriots’ decision to release the wide receiver. Robert’s stories included the revelation of threatening text messages Brown sent to one of his accusers.

AD

Earlier this year, Robert produced an exhaustive examination of Pro Bowl tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.’s questionable off-field behavior that went beyond charges made public during a June trial in which he was found guilty of raping a 58-year-old woman.

AD

Robert worked for USA Today between 2010 and 2013 as a general assignment reporter, focusing on the NFL and social media and sports. He was part of the newspaper’s team that covered the 2012 Summer Olympics and he has also covered numerous Super Bowls.

Robert, who has been based in Denver, is a 2010 graduate of the University of Maryland. He grew up in Silver Spring. Among his many interests is a passion for teaching young students the craft of journalism. He was the student newspaper adviser at a Denver high school, where he taught news gathering and news writing and led a class in the production of a monthly student newspaper.

Please join us in welcoming Robert to the newsroom. He starts Nov. 18.

AD
AD