You must be a college junior, senior or graduate student enrolled in a degree program by the application deadline date. You must have had at least one professional news media job or internship.
The application deadline for the summer 2022 internship is noon Eastern Wednesday, Oct. 6, 2021. Applicants will be notified of the application committee’s decision by no later than Nov. 24, 2021.
Complete the online application in modern browsers such Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari. Please attach all relevant materials, including résumé, work samples and autobiographical essay. All work submitted must be in English.
Roles for interns
- Reporters: Clear, concise, energetic writing is highly valued. Conventional coverage of news events should be demonstrated, but a higher value is placed on enterprise reporting that shows creative, inventive or investigative skills. Writing for online is also highly valued. Please indicate your reporting assignment preference: General Assignment (includes National and Health & Science sections); Foreign (assignments will be in the Washington newsroom); Arts, Entertainment and Culture; Local; Sports; or Editorial (will be assigned to the Opinions section). Include no more than three clips.
- Visual journalists: For digital photographers, candidates must be proficient in Photoshop CS, photo management software, and Mac and PC platforms. Your application must include a portfolio. Videographers must be proficient in all aspects of digital video/audio and editing software, including Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere. Experience with voice-over narration and HTML is helpful. Required portfolio must be attached. Please indicate your assignment preference: Photography or Video.
- Multiplatform editors: Successful editors must be able to edit for multiple platforms, writing headlines that are tailored for print and digital audiences. Editors must also have a keen understanding of style, grammar and sentence structure, and must be able to edit for clarity. We also value editors who can detect problems in stories and work with others to make them better. Writing captions for photo galleries, proofing pages and the ability to work calmly under intense deadlines are also requirements, as is strong news judgment. Include up to six examples of news or feature stories you have edited, preferably files that include a headline and caption(s) for web or print.
- Multiplatform producers: The producer will be responsible for updating the web and mobile sites with fresh content and making sure article pages have critical web elements. We are looking for interns with solid news judgment, the ability to write smart headlines and blurbs, and experience packaging web stories, photo galleries and videos. An ideal candidate also will be adept at analyzing traffic data and web trends, understand search engine optimization, be a quick and effective problem solver, and be able to quickly learn how to use new web publishing tools.
- Audience producers: The producers on this team expand the reach of our storytelling and engagement with our journalism. We are looking for students who obsessively find ways to connect stories with readers. For instance, you may be a social media editor using Instagram Stories to break news, a newsletter writer responsible for a weekly email breaking down the biggest story, or a digital editor crafting the perfect web headline. Familiarity working in a web CMS, reading digital metrics and analyzing reader habits is required. Please include two samples of native digital work you’ve produced (e.g., a tweet thread, newsletter, shareable graphic, website redesign, etc.) with your application.
- Audio producers: The producer helps record, write and edit audio stories for long-form and short-form podcasts, and works collaboratively with reporters and editors to find and bring to life Post reporting. The ideal candidate has a background in sound design, audio production or both. Our producers combine traditional journalistic skills with creative approaches to telling stories through sound. We also value a producer who brings creative approaches to promotion and community-building. Proficiency in either Adobe Audition or Pro Tools is required. Please include three links to audio clips with your application.