The Washington Post today announces it will provide software and technology to the student newspapers at the University of Maryland (The Diamondback) and Columbia University (The Columbia Daily Spectator), giving them access to the same advanced digital tools and technology that The Post’s newsroom uses every day.

The student publications will have access to specialized story templates, including The Post’s full-page enterprise template which can be used to create rich multimedia stories like “Reimagining Union Station” and “Stop and Seize”. The Post will also be able to easily integrate additional software currently in development including PageBuilder, which allows journalists to build modern, quick-loading pages for their stories.

“The Post is building some of the most innovative technology in journalism right now and we plan to license these products to other journalism organizations, so this is a first step in that direction,” said Shailesh Prakash, CIO and Vice President of Technology at The Post. “We are thrilled to provide these services to these student publications, both to help support their journalism and to get real-world feedback on our software services program.”

“Spectator is excited to work with The Washington Post in this partnership that will help us incorporate videos, graphics, and multimedia that will enhance our storytelling. As we work to further develop our digital journalism, we are grateful to have access to The Post’s digital tools and technology. This relationship has opened up new opportunities for us to better present our journalism, and we are optimistic to see what else our staff can do with these new tools,” said Abby Abrams, Editor in Chief of The Columbia Daily Spectator.

Below are examples of how The Diamondback and The Columbia Daily Spectator are using Post technology:

Casting a Light: Examining the Relationship Between Diversity and Campus Theater

All in theory: Science Initiative built to address longstanding issues; 18 months laters, faculty concerned with progress

Jayson Blair, 10 years later- Part 1, Part 2, Part 3