The Washington metro region has an abundance of historic homes — including everything from Georgian to Arts and Crafts, from Mid-century Modern to Farmhouse Vernacular, and from Federal style to International style — many of which have been lovingly restored to showcase their character-defining features. We want to highlight the best one in this area. Upload photos to our Web site that show how you’ve restored your home. There will be one grand prize winner who will receive a two-night stay for two at Historic Hotels of America’s Churchill Hotel in the District and be featured in an article in The Washington Post’s Real Estate section on October 20. The two runners-up will receive a year’s membership to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
For the purposes of the contest, we consider all homes built before 1962 as historic. The homes will be judged on three criteria: (1) overall appearance and beauty; (2) historical accuracy, how true to the original architecture the home has been restored; and (3) contemporary creativity, how well modern changes have been incorporated in a way that preserves the character-defining features of the home. To be eligible for a prize, the homes must be private residences — not museums — and meet historic preservation standards set by their local communities.
No purchase is necessary to enter this contest. This contest is sponsored by WP Company LLC d/b/a The Washington Post (”Sponsor”). Anyone in the United States is eligible to submit photos of his or her home, but the finalists must be residents of the District of Columbia, one of the following counties in Maryland (Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s or St. Mary’s), Virginia (Arlington, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun or Prince William), the City of Alexandria or the City of Fairfax. Contestants must be 18 years of age or older to enter. One entry per person. Employees, officers, directors and representatives of Sponsor and its affiliates, and those with whom they are domiciled, are not eligible. Void outside of the District of Columbia, Virginia and Maryland and where prohibited by law. Contest subject to all federal, state and local laws.
1. To enter, take no more than eight high-resolution photos of the interior and exterior of your home showing how it has been restored. Make sure the photos do not include people or personal items you wouldn’t want the world to see. Upload the JPEGs, five megabytes or smaller, to the Real Estate user-generated photo gallery. Within each caption box, include a description of your home and the rooms. Each photo must also include your name, e-mail address, daytime phone number and city and state of residence. The submission period begins Friday, September 7, 2012, and is limited to one entry per person. All submitted photos and captions may appear online at any time after they have been received at washingtonpost.com/historichomecontest starting on or around Friday, September 7, 2012. Except as otherwise stated herein or on washingtonpost.com.Your personal identifying information will not be shown online; your photos will be identified online by your user name.
2. Photo submissions are due by Monday, September 24, at 11:59 p.m. ET when the contest closes. Three judges — all experts in historic homes — will select 10 finalists from among the entries. The Post will announce the 10 finalists online on Friday, September 28 and in print on Saturday, September 29. From those 10 finalists, the judges will visit the top three homes they deem to have best met the above criteria. Owners of the three homes must be available from Friday, September 28 to Wednesday, October 3 for a home visit from the judges. Based on those visits, the judges will select the grand prize winner and two runners-up. Decisions of the judges are final and cannot be appealed. Decisions will be based on the criteria set forth above. By entering, you authorize The Post to publish photos of your home and the caption you wrote, and to identify you as the entrant with those photos.
3. From on or around Friday, September 28 to Tuesday, October 9, readers can vote on their favorite home from the list of finalists. The votes won’t count toward the decision of the judges. Readers will get to weigh in and see how their selection stacked up against the judges’ decision.
4. The grand prize winner must participate in a cover story prepared for the Real Estate section, submitting to interviews and photography between Thursday, October 4 and Saturday, October 6. The winner must keep his or her selection a secret until it is officially announced online Friday, October 19, 2012.
5. The grand prize winner will receive a two-night stay for two in a suite at Historic Hotels of America’s Churchill Hotel, breakfast for two as well as entry to the Phillips Collection museum. The hotel stay is valued at up to $700. The grand prize winner also will be featured in an article in The Washington Post’s Real Estate section on October 20. Two runners-up will receive a year’s membership to the National Trust for Historic Preservation and subscription to Preservation Magazine, a prize valued at $35. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries. The grand prize must be claimed by October 20, 2013.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND GENERAL CONDITIONS:
Entrants agree not to submit inappropriate content, content that infringes upon or violates the copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of any person or establishment; is libelous or defamatory; is obscene, pornographic, or sexually explicit; violates a person’s right to privacy; violates any local, state, national, or international law; contains or advocates illegal or violent acts; degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability or other classification; is predatory, hateful, or intended to intimidate or harass; contains advertising or solicitation of any kind; or misrepresents your identify or affiliation and or impersonates others.
Entrants agree that they are fully responsible for the content that they submit. Entrants will promptly remove any content that they have posted should they discover that it violates these rules or that it is otherwise inappropriate. Each submission should be entirely the original work of the entrant. Entrants must have all necessary rights and permissions in their entries, and each entrant (and not Sponsor) is solely responsible for his or her entry. Entrants understand and agree that we are not responsible for any user submitted content. Entrants further understand that we have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor submissions and we may remove content that we deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user’s privilege to post content on our site.
By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which are final and binding in all respects. By entering, each entrant agrees to release, discharge, indemnify, and hold harmless Sponsor and each of its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries and each of their respective employees, officers, shareholders, directors, representatives and agents (collectively, “Releasees”) from and against any claims, damages or liability involving or arising out of (i) late, lost, delayed, misdirected, postage due, mutilated, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries; (ii) telephone system, technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, transmission or other errors of any kind whether mechanical, human, electronic or otherwise; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use or misuse of any prize or from participating in the Contest or any Contest related activity; or (v) any printing, distribution, typographical, administrative, human or technological errors involving or associated with the Contest. Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with the Contest. Entrants must have all necessary rights in their entities. Entries that are late, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, false, unintelligible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules will be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, destroyed or misdirected entries. Sponsor shall have no liability for any finalist or winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received for any reason. In Sponsor’s sole discretion, a selected potential semifinalist, finalist or winner may be disqualified and required to forfeit the opportunity to participate further in the Contest, and an alternate potential finalist or winner may be selected in accordance with these Official Rules from among the remaining eligible entries for any reason, including without limitation if a selected potential finalist or winner (i) is unreachable or notification is returned as undeliverable; (ii) declines or cannot accept the opportunity to participate further in the Contest for any reason; or (iii) fails to comply with these Official Rules.
All costs and expenses are not included and are the winners’ responsibilities unless indicated herein as being awarded. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent of any prize element permitted. Elements of the prize may not be exchanged. Sponsor and/or a prize provider may substitute a prize (or a portion of a prize) with one of equal or greater retail value if a prize (or a portion of a prize) is unavailable or cannot be awarded for any reason. Winners will be responsible for reporting and payment of all applicable federal, state and local taxes associated with claiming these prizes. Please consult your tax adviser regarding the tax implications of winning.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, cancel or suspend this Contest (or any portion of the Contest) should any virus, bug, computer problem or other cause or problem corrupt or inhibit the administration, security or proper operation of the Contest and, in such situation (or in the event of any type of error), to select the winners from eligible entries received prior to the action taken or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. In no event will Sponsor be liable for more than the stated number of prizes in these Official Rules. Sponsor may prohibit entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrant or Sponsor’s representatives. Releasees have not made and/or are not responsible for any misrepresentation or guaranty, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes. By entering, each Entrant agrees that Sponsor may use his or her entry (e.g., name, caption, photos, and related information) in any and all media throughout the universe and in perpetuity for any purpose as determined by Sponsor, including promotional purposes without additional compensation. By accepting a prize, each winner agrees and acknowledges that Sponsor may use winner’s name, voice, biographical data, likeness and city name in any and all media throughout the universe and in perpetuity for any purpose as determined by Sponsor, including promotional purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. Sponsor: WP Company LLC, 1150 15th Street NW, Washington, DC 20071. Finalists and winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and/or publicity/liability release. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of prizes. If a prize is forfeited or a finalist/winner is disqualified, then (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) the next-best entry under the criteria set forth above may be selected to receive the forfeited prize subject to these Official Rules. Forfeited prizes may not be awarded. By entering the Contest, entrants agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out of pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event will attorneys’ fees be awarded or recoverable; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby knowingly and expressly waives all rights to seek, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and/or any other damages, other than actual out of pocket expenses, and/or any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
For the names of each winner or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: The Washington Post, Real Estate Section, 1150 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20071. Please specify “Winner List” or “Official Rules.” Requests must be received by January 31, 2013.