According to BLT Steak's chef Laurent Tourondel, the original cobb salad was invented in 1937 at Hollywood's famous celebrity hangout, the Brown Derby.
The original salad was made with chicken, but Tourondel likes to use lobster instead.
- For the dressing
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch salt
- For the salad
- 3 large eggs
- Fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (about 4 cups total)
- 2 bunches watercress, tough stems discarded
- 1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups packed arugula, cut into 1/8-inch-wide slices
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallions, green parts only
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cooked meat of 3 1-pound lobsters
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 4 slices crisp cooked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Crisped fried shallots, for garnish (see NOTE)
For the dressing: Combine the ingredients and salt to taste in a bowl and whisk until blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the salad: Have ready an ice-water bath. Place the eggs and a pinch of salt in a heavy-bottomed pot with enough cold water to cover. Add the vinegar to keep the eggs from leaking out if the shells crack during cooking. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to the ice-water bath to cool. Peel the eggs and cut them in half.
In a large bowl, toss together the salad greens, scallions, 1/4 cup of the tarragon and the cheese.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the lobster meat and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Add the remaining 1/4 cup tarragon and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the lobster to a cutting board. Cut the lobster meat into 1/2-inch pieces.
To assemble: Season the salad greens with the dressing, salt and pepper to taste; toss well. Top with the lobster, avocado, egg halves, bacon and fried shallots. Serve immediately.
From chef Laurent Tourondel at BLT Steak.
Tested by Yuki Noguchi.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.