This makes enough tart slaw for any nachos you put together. You'll have enough left over to use as a topping or side for sandwiches.
Make Ahead: The slaw needs to marinate for 2 hours. It can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Servings: 6 cups
- 4 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut lengthwise into thin slivers (julienne)
- 1/2 large head green cabbage, cored and shredded (8 to 9 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (scant 2 cups)
- Leaves from 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Combine the jalapeno peppers, cabbage, carrots and parsley in a large bowl. Add the vinegar and toss to coat evenly, then add the salt and sugar. Mix well, then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours, then drain in a colander.
The slaw is ready to use right away; or transfer it to a heavy-duty plastic resealable food storage bag, seal and refrigerate for up to 4 days, shaking to redistribute the contents each day.
Adapted from David Suarez, chef and culinary director at Rosa Mexicano.
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.