Takoma Park cook Grace Weissman likes to serve these packets with lemon risotto. She preps the ingredients, and her family members and friends each create their own portions.
She labels them with a Sharpie to keep track of whose packet is whose.
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise, then into thin half-moons
- 4 red bliss potatoes, scrubbed and cut into thin slices (optional)
- 4 small onion, cut into very thin slices
- 3 large cloves garlic, cut into thin slices
- 1 3/4 cups jarred artichoke hearts, drained and cut into chunks
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- 2 lemons, cut into very thin slices and seeded
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut lengthwise into 2-inch strips (about 5 ounces per person; may use boneless, skinless tenders)
- Rosemary sprigs
- Thyme sprigs
- Italian seasoning blend
- Olive oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Have a large rimmed baking sheet at hand. Cut 8 large pieces of aluminum foil (about 18 inches long), then lay them flat, shiny side down, on the counter.
Layer the zucchini, potatoes, if using, onions, garlic, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and lemons in the center of each piece of foil. Lay slices of the chicken on top, then a few sprigs of rosemary and/or thyme. Sprinkle with the seasoning to taste, then drizzle generously with the oil (1 to 2 tablespoons per portion). Seal the packets and place on the baking sheet. Label the packets.
Bake for about 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables have reached the desired degree of doneness.
Open the packets carefully to allow steam to escape. Transfer the contents to individual plates; discard the foil and the herb sprigs, if desired. Serve hot.
Based on a recipe Weissman learned at a summer cooking camp at Just Cakes in Bethesda.
Tested by Grace Weissman and Bonnie S. Benwick.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.