This deeply flavored sauce mates well with pork ribs, Cornish hens and meaty fish, such as salmon. Brush on in the final minutes of cooking.
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped
- 1 cup strong coffee, brewed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer until thick, about 20 minutes.
Refrigerate the sauce in an airtight container for up to one week.
From Smoke Signals columnist Jim Shahin.
Tested by Belle Elving.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.