Here, the vegetables' role is mostly to lend color to the cream cheese spread smish, so it's the peelings of the radishes and zucchini that are used (reserve the flesh for another use). If using a mini-food processor to dice the vegetables, do them separately to better control their size. Serve with crackers.
Servings: 1 cup
- 6 bright red radishes (peelings only), finely diced
- 1 small zucchini (skin and about 1/8 inch of flesh), finely diced
- 1/2 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 7 ounces prepared cream cheese spread (such as smoked jalapeño, chive and onion or walnut herb)
- Freshly ground black pepper
On a plate, combine the diced radish, zucchini and carrot. Taste the cream cheese spread and add salt and pepper to taste. Roll the cheese spread into a log about 4 inches long and then roll the log in the diced vegetables, gently pressing the vegetables into the cheese. If not serving immediately, cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Adapted from chef and former restaurateur David Hagedorn.
Tested by Marcia Kramer.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.