Servings: 1 sandwich
- 2 slices oat or whole-grain bread
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 ripe avocado, cut into thin slices
- 2 ounces thinly sliced or shredded habanero or pepper jack cheese
- 2 slices bacon, fried until just beginning to crisp then drained on paper towel
Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice, buttered side down, on a clean work surface and arrange the avocado slices on it. Top with the cheese and bacon, pressing down so the cheese (if shredded) stays in place. Lay the second slice of bread, buttered side up, on top of the sandwich.
Heat a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat; place the sandwich in the center. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom (this will depend on how hot your burner is and the type of skillet you use; start checking after 2 minutes). Turn over the sandwich and press lightly with a spatula. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Transfer to a plate and cut in half. Serve hot.
From cookbook author Domenica Marchetti.
Tested by Domenica Marchetti.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.