Good ideas travel fast. One week, there was a recipe on the side of a bag of avocados that substituted guacamole for traditional deviled egg filling. The next week, a similar recipe turned up in the Penzeys spice catalogue.
Whatever the origin, the idea is a winner. The fresh, bright taste of guacamole is a perfect fit with the egg-white halves. In this version, the guacamole is flavored with a healthy dose of lime juice and topped off with a sprinkling of sliced scallions.
Yield: Makes 20 stuffed egg-white halves
- Flesh of 2 avocados
- 3 to 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts chopped, darker green parts sliced for garnish
- 10 hard-cooked eggs, each cut in half (yolks saved for another use)
Mash the avocado flesh in a small bowl, leaving small chunks if desired.
Add 3 tablespoons of the lime juice, the cumin, salt and pepper to taste and the chopped scallions; mix well. Taste and add lime juice as needed.
Fill each egg white half with about a tablespoon of the guacamole. Top with the sliced scallion greens. Serve immediately.
Tested by Stephanie Witt Sedgwick.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.