This haroset -- the symbolic "mortar" -- is a sweet-tart rendition that could be served with roast turkey, grilled chicken or broiled salmon.
Servings: 3 cups
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (may substitute frozen, thawed)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice or water
- 2 tablespoons sweet red wine (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
- Sugar, to taste (optional)
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine all of the ingredients. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries pop, 3 to 5 minutes. Taste; it may be necessary to add additional orange juice or sugar. Remove the pan from the heat; set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate until serving. (May cover and refrigerate for 3 days.)
Recipe by Marcy Goldman
Tested by Marcy Goldman.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.