This creamy spread can be put out right away for snacking while the rest of the tailgate meal unfolds. Mary Wilson of Alexandria likes to pack the spread in a container that has a chamber for ice on the bottom. She has made this for her family and fellow Redskins fans for many years.
Serve with Nabisco Wheat Thins or Ritz crackers.
Servings: 10 - 12
- 8 ounces cream cheese, preferably Philadelphia brand, at room temperature
- 1 16-ounce can red sockeye salmon, drained, boned (dark skin removed), then mashed and chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 dashes liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley or dill (optional)
Combine the cream cheese, salmon, onion, Liquid Smoke, lemon juice and parsley or dill, if desired, in the bowl of a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer and beat until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container and keep cold until ready to serve.
From Mary Wilson of Alexandria.
Tested by Anne Kornblut.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.