Frozen peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp are the main pantry ingredient to have on hand.
Servings: 4 - 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 rib celery, cut into small dice
- 1 strip uncooked bacon, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat or whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups fish stock or vegetable broth
- 1 Yukon Gold potato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Pinch finely chopped thyme leaves (may substitute dried thyme)
- 8 ounces frozen, peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp
- Freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and bacon; cook until the vegetables are tender and the meat starts to sizzle. Add the low-fat or whole milk and the fish stock or vegetable broth, stirring to combine; increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Add the potato and thyme, stirring to combine; cook for about 10 minutes, until the potato is tender. Add the shrimp and bring back to a boil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
From Mitchell Davis, author of "Kitchen Sense" (Clarkson Potter, 2006).
Tested by Mitchell Davis.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.