This is my idea of the perfect summer side salad. Those nights when you want to add some substance, top it with cold, sliced roast beets or bell peppers, chopped hard-boiled eggs, thinly sliced red onion, cold fish or chicken and so on.
- For the vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced or mashed
- For the salad
- 5 cups purslane, washed and dried
- 5 cups arugula leaves, washed, dried and coarsely chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic. Shake well; set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the purslane and arugula. Drizzle with some of the vinaigrette and toss again. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper to taste and toss very gently. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and serve immediately.
Tested by Lisa Cherkasky.
Email questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.