Serve this with the fried dill pickles known as frickles, or with crab cakes.
The remoulade can be refrigerated in a tightly covered container for up to 1 week.
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnnaise
- 5 cornichons, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 hard-cooked egg, grated
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Combine the mayonnaise, cornichons, capers, egg, buttermilk, garlic, shallot, smoked paprika, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Adapted from chef Eric Reid at the Del Merei Grille in Alexandria.
Tested by Emily Heil.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.