The slightly tart, spicy chicken turns mellow when simmered in coconut milk. Serve with jasmine rice.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 limes (grated zest and juice)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 green chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 6 to 8 scallions, both white and light-green parts, cut into 1-inch shreds
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken pieces with the lime zest and juice. Let sit for 15 minutes or up to 1 hour. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Discarding the lime zest and juice, add the chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is golden. Add the chili peppers and stir-fry for 1 minute more. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, half the scallions and half the cilantro. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and cilantro and serve immediately.
Adapted from "Delia's How to Cook: Book Two," by Delia Smith (BBC Worldwide Publishing, 2001).
Tested by Marcia Kramer.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.