Fruit-based sauces taste great on pork and poultry. This definitely sweet recipe comes from pitmaster Paul Kirk, aka the Kansas City Baron of Barbecue.
Servings: 3 quarts
- 2 cups strawberry jelly
- 1 quart strawberries, stemmed and sliced in half
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 quart ketchup
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) frozen limeade concentrate
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely ground sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large pan over medium-high heat, combine all the ingredients until heated through. The mixture will be thick to start but will become somewhat thinner after it is heated. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Puree in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Place in airtight containers and refrigerate until ready to use.
Adapted from "Peace, Love and Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies From the Legends of Barbecue," by Mike Mills and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe (Rodale, 2005).
Tested by Tom Wilkinson.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.