Make Ahead: This spicy condiment is a good accompaniment to rich-tasting fish such as mackerel.
Servings: 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 3 tablespoons water, plus more as needed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce, such as Sriracha, or more as needed
- 1/2 medium clove garlic, minced
Combine the wasabi powder and water in a medium bowl to form a paste. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes. Add water as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
Combine the mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon of the wasabi paste in a small bowl, reserving the remaining wasabi paste for another use. Then add the soy sauce, hot chili sauce and garlic; whisk until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve at room temperature.
Adapted from a recipe by chef Morou Ouattara.
Tested by Carol Touhey.
Email questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.