Sidney Crosby has a broken jaw and is out indefinitely after being hit in the mouth with a puck during a win against the New York Islanders on Saturday.

The Pittsburgh Penguins said on the team Web site Sunday that Crosby, 25, had surgery Saturday night.

Crosby, the NHL’s leading scorer, was struck in the face during the first period of the Penguins’ 2-0 win. Slow-motion replays showed multiple teeth flying out of his mouth after the puck struck him during his first shift. The team said Crosby had “major dental work” and will have more done later in the week.

Crosby has 56 points (15 goals, 41 assists) and holds a 10-point lead in the scoring race. He has not missed a game yet this season after being limited to 22 regular season games over the prior two calendar years because of concussion-like symptoms and neck issues after absorbing big hits in consecutive games Jan. 1 and Jan. 5, 2011.

Coach Dan Bylsma did not rule out the possibility Crosby would undergo evaluation for a concussion.

“I think every time that type of thing happens to a player you think of that,” Bylsma said.

There is no indication, however, that Crosby sustained a concussion.

The Penguins have won 15 straight games and have a league-best 56 points.


In Providence, R.I., Matthew Peca recorded the fastest hat trick in NCAA tournament history, scoring three goals in a 3 minute 12 second span of the first period, leading top-seeded Quinnipiac to a 5-1 hockey victory over Union (N.Y.) in the East Region final for a spot in the Frozen Four.

The Bobcats (29-7-5) will face St. Cloud State April 11 in one of the two national semifinal games in Pittsburgh; Massachusetts Lowell and Yale will meet in the other game.

Earlier on Sunday, Joey Benik and Cory Thorson each scored twice and St. Cloud State (25-15-1) earned its first-ever Frozen Four berth with a 4-1 win over Miami (Ohio) in the Midwest Region title game in Toledo. . . .

Kentucky Coach John Calipari says sophomore point guard Ryan Harrow is transferring to Georgia State to be closer to his family in Atlanta. Calipari says the health of Harrow’s father played a role in the decision. Harrow averaged 9.9 points in 29 games this season.


Andy Murray erased a championship point and rallied past David Ferrer, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-1), in a grueling final at the Sony Open in Key Biscayne, Fla.

One point from defeat in the last set, Murray skipped a forehand off the baseline to stay in the match. He then dominated the tiebreaker, while Ferrer appeared to cramp and collapsed to the court after one long point.

The 2-hour, 44-minute match was filled with grinding baseline rallies, including at least a dozen of more than 20 strokes and one lasting 34.

Ferrer, who was seeking the biggest title of his career, fell to 0-13 against top-five players in finals.


Steven Gerrard’s tiebreaking penalty kick in the 60th minute helped Liverpool rally for a 2-1 English Premier League win over Aston Villa.

Villa went ahead in the 31st minute on Christian Benteke’s 14th league goal of the season, but Jordan Henderson tied the score in the 47th minute. . . .

Sunderland (7-14-10) fired manager Martin O’Neill after Saturday’s 1-0 loss against Manchester United and replaced him with Paolo Di Canio. . . .

Atletico Madrid squandered a chance to reclaim second place in the Spanish league when it was held to a 1-1 draw by visiting Valencia. . . .

In London, Oxford won the annual university Boat Race, beating defending champion Cambridge by 11 / 2 lengths to reverse last year’s results.

With an estimated 250,000 people lining the banks of the River Thames in freezing conditions, the heavier Oxford crew featuring two Olympians from the 2012 London Games never trailed on the 41 / 4-mile course.

It cut Cambridge’s overall lead to 81-77 in one of England’s oldest and most prestigious sporting events.

— From news services