The NBA trade deadline was Thursday at 3 p.m. Eastern. Here’s all the news and buzz.
- No Anthony Davis deal (3 p.m.): The Pelicans will see what they can get this summer for the best player to hit the trade market in a generation. On Tuesday, the Lakers reportedly dropped out of talks aimed at trying to land Anthony Davis because of the Pelicans’ “outrageous” trade requests. The hope was that New Orleans would come back to the table with a counterproposal, but the Pelicans seem okay with waiting for other offers this summer. The Celtics will finally be in the mix, possibly with Jayson Tatum on the table, and the Knicks — also a preferred Davis destination — will have big money to lure starry sidekicks. Interestingly, Davis appears poised to rejoin the Pelicans lineup to play out this season.
- Markelle Fultz is out of Philly (Thursday, 2:45 p.m.): The weird saga of Fultz is headed to Orlando in exchange for swingman Jonathon Simmons, the Thunder’s first-rounder and a Cavs’ second-round pick. The 76ers get a useful wing and the former No. 1 overall pick gets a fresh start, which Fultz badly needs. Simmons, 29, had his best season last year, posting 13.9 points per game. This year he’s down to 6.9 points a contest.
- Grizzlies trade Marc Gasol to the Raptors, Mike Conley staying put (Thursday, 2:40 p.m.): The Grit-N-Grind era is reportedly over in Memphis. Meanwhile, the Eastern Conference arms race continues, as the Raptors trade away Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, C.J. Miles and a second-round pick for the former all-star center. In a separate deal with the Clippers, the Grizzlies landed defensive ace Avery Bradley for forward JaMychal Green and guard Garrett Temple. Their other face of the franchise, Mike Conley Jr., was on the block with the Jazz in pursuit. Conley made his preference to go to the East known, but as of Thursday morning, the Jazz were reportedly still hot after the point guard. Memphis is reportedly keeping him past the deadline, perhaps waiting to deal him until this summer.
- Bucks land Nikola Mirotic, add a serious weapon for playoff run (Thursday, 1 p.m.): The Pelicans made a trade! (Just not including Anthony Davis.) Mirotic, the sweet-shooting forward, is headed to Milwaukee in exchange for Jason Smith and Stanley Johnson, two players who were acquired by the Bucks via trades this season (Johnson was in this week’s Thon Maker trade), and multiple second-round picks. In adding Mirotic, who is averaging 16.7 points and 8.2 rebounds per game this year, Milwaukee adds another floor-spacer around Giannis Antetokounmpo. Per Nate Silver, the deal nearly doubles Milwaukee’s title chances. Fear the deer.
- Nik Stauskas and Wade Baldwin IV traded as a pair for the third time this week (Thursday, 1:15 p.m.): Maybe this will be a sad bit of NBA trivia someday. First, Stauskas and Baldwin were traded from Portland to Cleveland in the Rodney Hood trade. Then, they were dealt to Houston in the Iman Shumphert three-way deal Wednesday night. Two hours before the deadline, the pair is being sent to Indiana along with a second-round pick. That appears to be the end of the line: Both players will be waived.
Completed trades (since 2018-19 season began):
- Feb. 7: Nets receive Greg Monroe and a second-round pick; Raptors receive TBD
- Feb. 7: Magic receive Markelle Fultz; 76ers receive Jonathan Simmons, a first-round pick and a second-round pick
- Feb. 7: Hawks receive Shelvin Mack; Grizzlies receive TBD
- Feb 7: Blazers receive Skal Labissiere; Kings receive Caleb Swanigan
- Feb. 7: Clippers receive Michael Beasley and Ivica Zubac; Lakers receive Mike Muscala
- Feb. 7: Raptors receive Marc Gasol; Grizzlies receive Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, C.J. Miles and a 2024 second-round pick
- Feb. 7: Grizzlies receive Avery Bradley; Clippers receive Garrett Temple and JaMychal Green
- Feb. 7: Pacers receive Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin IV and a second-round pick; Rockets receive cap relief
- Feb. 7: Bucks receive Nikola Mirotic; Pelicans receive Stanley Johnson, Jason Smith and multiple second-round picks
- Feb. 7: 76ers receive James Ennis III; Rockets receive swap rights to a 2021 second-round pick
- Feb. 6: Pelicans receive Markieff Morris; Wizards receive Wesley Johnson (News; Trade grades)
- Feb. 6: Kings receive Harrison Barnes; Mavericks receive Justin Jackson and Zach Randolph
- Feb. 6: In a three-way trade, Rockets receive Iman Shumpert from Sacramento and Nik Stauskas and Wade Baldwin IV from Cleveland; Cavaliers receive Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss and a lottery-protected 2019 first-round pick from Houston; Kings receive Alec Burks from Cleveland
- Feb. 6: Bulls receive Otto Porter Jr.; Wizards receive Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker (News; Analysis; Trade grades)
- Feb. 6: Heat receive Ryan Anderson; Suns receive Tyler Johnson and Wayne Ellington
- Feb. 6: 76ers receive Malachi Richardson, Toronto’s 2022 second-round pick and draft rights to Emir Preldzic; Raptors receive cash considerations.
- Feb. 6: Pistons receive Thon Maker; Bucks receive Stanley Johnson (Trade grades)
- Feb. 5: 76ers receive Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and Mike Scott; Clippers receive Landry Shamet, Mike Muscala, and Wilson Chandler. The Sixers also sent a lottery-protected 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 unprotected first-round pick (via Miami), a 2021 second-round pick (via Detroit), and a 2023 second-round pick (via Detroit) to the Clippers (Trade grades)
- Feb. 5: Lakers receive Reggie Bullock; Pistons receive Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (Trade grades)
- Feb. 4: Blazers receive Rodney Hood; Cavaliers receive Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin IV and second-round picks in 2021 and 2023 (Trade grades)
- Jan. 31: Mavericks receive Kristaps Porzingis, Courtney Lee, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Trey Burke; Knicks receive Dennis Smith Jr., DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews and two future first-round picks (Analysis; Trade grades)
- Jan. 22: Bulls receive Carmelo Anthony (since waived), the draft rights to Jon Diebler and cash; Rockets receive draft rights to Tadija Dragićević
- Jan. 7: Bulls receive Michael Carter-Williams (since waived) and cash; Rockets receive a future second-round pick
- Jan. 3: Grizzlies receive Justin Holiday; Bulls receive MarShon Brooks, Wayne Selden and second-round picks in 2019 and 2020
- Dec. 17: Wizards receive Trevor Ariza; Suns receive Kelly Oubre Jr. and Austin Rivers (since waived) (Analysis; Winners and losers)
- Dec. 7: Bucks receive George Hill, Jason Smith and a 2021 second-round pick; Cavaliers gets Matthew Dellavedova, John Henson, a 2021 first-round pick and second-round picks in 2021 and 2022; Wizards get Sam Dekker
- Nov. 29: Jazz receives Kyle Korver; Cavaliers receive Alec Burks, Utah’s 2020 second-round pick and Washington’s 2021 second-round pick
- Nov. 12: 76ers receive Jimmy Butler and Justin Patton; Timberwolves receive Dario Saric, Robert Covington, Jerryd Bayless and a second-round pick (Analysis)
More NBA trade deadline coverage: